Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Facebook Rants (Tuesday, 05/18/2010)


Facebook is a fun social networking site that I enjoy being a part of. I have tons of friends and family on there, and I've been able to connect with old friends I've may have never heard from again. I've also made new friends and acquaintances as well, mostly in the Southern Gospel world.

Facebook has proven to be a great tool to keep up with these contacts, and also an easy way to let them know what's going on your life as well. I enjoy being able to find out what others are doing, and comment too! It's also made it easier to share photos of the kids as well. However, like with everything else, there are pros and cons with sharing things on a social networking site!

As those of you who follow me on fb know, most of my statuses are puns and lighthearted fun. I rarely get too personal, unless I'm talking about food! lol! Yum!

But, for the most part, I try and keep my posts positive.  Of course, that's how I usually am anyway, so it's not too hard. I try to brighten at least someone's day... even if it may annoy everyone else! hahaha!

I don't think I've ever used my facebook status for a rant. I know I've been tempted to. Especially those days that don't go very well, and I just want to vent. I guess there is a good possibility that I might someday rant on my status, but only if I think there is a probable cause. I just hope I do it in a wise way, and not hurt myself or someone else.

Now, In case you're wondering what brings this up....

In the news, I read about a woman in North Carolina who used her facebook to complain about a tip she got at her work. She was a waitress, got paid a horrible tip for her service, made a post that also mentioned her work by name, and got fired.

Ouch..... Not the best idea.

I understand the woman's frustration, but I also understand the company's stance as well. I think one has to be careful, especially when mentioning current employers. Now if you have a former employer that treated you poorly, you know you're never going to work for them again, and you want to warn others about them... that's different. Like if the woman was verbally harassed or something... to me, that's a good probable cause.

Placing rants on a facebook status is not the best route to go, in my opinion. It seems though, that several do it anyway.

I think if you're going to rant, think it over, word it properly, and see if you can help and not hurt! It just may come back to haunt you!

~Matt 

No comments: