Monday, November 19, 2012

7 Days of Thankfulness: DAY 5 - "Being A Parent"

This is a continuation of my "7 Days of Thankfulness"!


-----  

 
 
DAY 5 - "Being A Parent"

Is it apparent that I'm a parent? Sometimes, it's tough for me to sit and imagine that I'm a Dad to two kids. I know that several that knew me as a teenage would have a difficult time imagining me be a responsible parent. The key word being "responsible"... lol!

Today, I'm thankful God has given me the responsibility of being a parent. I admit that after Lydia and I got married, the thought of being a dad scared me. I liked kids, but was uncertain that I could really take on the responsibility of dealing them full-time as my own. It's different when watching others children. As a parent, anything that happens falls under you as the 'owner of the kid'.

However, now I wouldn't trade what I have for anything! My kids are awesome! Yes, they have their faults, and can be some trouble at times... but I'll proudly claim them as mine anytime!  

I try very hard to do what is right as a responsible dad. I'm a kid at heart, so I have to remember that I'm the grown-up. It's never fun to have to correct and serve punishment, but it is something that is needed. I want Mysia and Malachi to grow up with respect and have good behavior. It's not an easy job. Lydia and have expectations on our children, and their learning.

I'm happy to report that both kids have told to me from time to time that I'm the coolest dad. I guess I'm doing something right! I just want to be a good example and make sure that Mysia and Malachi love and respect me as their dad. It is a serious responsibility, and I'm up for the challenge. I pray that I'll never give up... it is worth every moment!

I'm thankful to be a parent!


~Matt

No comments: