Tuesday, August 4, 2009

News... Illegally Modifying Game Consoles?


Today, it was reported on Foxnews.com that a college student is charged with illegally modifying game consoles to play pirated games. They say it was violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Now, I'm not a lawyer, or well learned in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). I knew that it is technically illegal to bypass any technology or services that are put there to prevent accessing copyrighted material. But according to what I've just read, DMCA also criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, whether or not there is actual infringement of copyright itself.

I guess I'll have to be careful when modifying copyrighted songs for my own enjoyment? And making my own ringtones is illegal too? This affects a lot of things! I didn't know modifying something you own could be illegal! I'm also thinking now about computers, are we not going to be able to modify them to be able to play media we own? Another thought… could this eventually make it illegal to make your LPs digital?

I'm going to try and watch this case as it unfolds. I just hope that it all gets reported!

~Matt

PS  Comments welcomed!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes undoubtedly, in some moments I can reveal that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be considering other options.
to the article there is even now a definitely as you did in the go over like a lead balloon a fall in love with publication of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=salon styler pro ?
I noticed the utter you have not used. Or you use the dark methods of helping of the resource. I have a week and do necheg