Friday, August 28, 2009

Unfriending on Facebook


Yesterday, for the first time, I had the unfortunate task of unfriending someone on my facebook account. I had always hoped I'd never have to do that, but under certain circumstances, it couldn't be helped.

When someones makes vulgar or rude comments, and is intentionally trying to hurt you on facebook through their comments, then it's time to evaluate whether it's worth it to have them associated with you on the social networking site. It's a place to keep up with family, friends, acquaintances... not for attacking them in hate! Especially when there is no reason behind it. To just attack someone for fun, with no objective but to be mean and hateful, is not right. And I won't put up with it.

Now, I understand that there are times when you can offend someone, but not mean to. I'm sure I've done that! I'm sure my puns and jokes on my status updates can annoy others at times. But in my defense, it's all in fun and jest. I'm not on an agenda to attack and hurt anyones feelings. I'm not trying to cause trouble. I definitely don't mean to personally offend anyone!

However, that doesn't mean I won't state my views on certain topics. But when I do, I hope it's seen in a way of how I see it, and allowing others to make up their own mind and opinion on the matter. I'm not trying to force my views on others. Just trying to make them aware of how I see it, and explain my logic behind it!

Anyway, I hope I don't have to unfriend anyone else, at least in the near future! No matter what, it hurts when people can be so mean. Perhaps it's just me, but I think people can grow up and be civil about things. Doing things for fun is fine. Doing things in hate, is not.

~Matt

No comments: