Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Criminalizing My Beliefs - Vol. 1 (UPDATED/EDITED)




UPDATE: Changes made to original post before published!

I had planned to make a several posts over the next few days on my personal thoughts about Council Bill 2012-226 being put forth to the Springfield City Council. Last night, I worked on the post for today... however, there have been some things happening today that has made me re-think some of my wording.

With that in mind, let me at least leave you with some quotes to get your minds working:

From the "Springfield News-Leader":

Councilman Tom Bieker said fear that the ordinance could fare poorly with voters is one reason he suggested sending it back to a committee or task force for further discussion.
“What I’m worried about is if this gets to the polls it will fail miserably … and we’ll take a 20-year step back,” he said.

Instead, Bieker said he plans to renew his call that a task force review the issue before bringing it back to council with possible revisions.

Bieker said he supports the ordinance but doesn’t think opponents had an opportunity to weigh in as it was drafted.



 From "@sgffreedom"
City Attorney Dan Wichmer just confirmed: If you act according to your personal religious beliefs in your business, you can be legitimately sued if this ordinance passes!


For more reading, you can visit: http://www.cobycullins.com/2012/08/council-bill-2012-226.html


There are so many thoughts on this matter, that I'm trying to compile them in a way that I can covey them in the best manner.

~Matt

No comments: