Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Criminalizing My Beliefs - Vol. 2



This is part two of my thoughts on the ordinance that has been talked about for Springfield City Council. Like always, my intent is to share my opinion in short posts to provoke thoughts in those reading (you). Which is, of course, one of the ideas of this blog... voice my thoughts and opinions!

Anyway, before I ramble on too much...

The addition to the ordinance is not a 'civil right', but a moral issue. I should not be allowed to discriminate someone for race, etc. However, if it's something that I think is morally wrong, then yes.

I'm a freelance graphic designer. If someone asks me to put together a poster for an event that promotes something that I believe is morally wrong, I should have the right to refuse service. If this ordinance passes, an individual can then sue me. I admit that it would have to be someone with an agenda to do me harm... but hey, everyone has enemies.

Some may argue that "Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity" is not a moral issue. Yes, it is. Those who believe in the Bible (and what it says), believe that homosexuality is a sin.  Why? Simple: it is defined as sin.

Here's a multi-thought to ponder...  how do you feel about lying? Do you like being lied to? Would you not agree that it is a moral issue? You can get fired for lying. No one can call it discrimination.

How is lying like homosexuality? Both are considered a sin, and an abomination. Now, if only Christians would take lying just a serious, we may have better politicians and wouldn't have to worry about issues like this- but that's a blog post for another time. If we actually believed what is called sin is sin, and lived by it, that would be easy.

Proponents for the change say that we now live in a 'modern civilized society' and not fall back to primitive thinking. However, they fail to see that putting laws in that criminalize moral issues is not civil. Look at other countries that have laws on moral issues. They wouldn't want them here in America. Adding "Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity" as a discrimination is doing just that.

Don't criminalize my beliefs!!!

~Matt




More info can be found here.

No comments: