Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Why I’m Not Supporting “HARDEE’S Restaurants”



I don’t know how many of you who read my blog watch much television. We do, but most of it is through Netflix. The programming on local tv stations isn’t the best, and we like being able to choose what to watch, whenever. One of the best things about services like Netflix... no commercials!!!

That was the issue this last Sunday. As a family, we were watching "the Amazing Race". We like it due to the fact that it's both entertaining and educational. Mysia and Malachi were glued to the tv. To our surprise, the highly offensive Hardee's commercial was aired.... Twice!

I was disappointed... it was shown in front of my 7 year-old daughter and 4 year-old son. Lydia scrambled for the remote. Too late. Why that it was allowed to air during what would be considered 'family programming'?

I decided to write both our local tv station and Hardee’s with my disappointment. I got an immediate email response form Hardee’s:

"CKE Restaurants, Inc., owner and franchisor of Carl’s Jr. and Hardee's restaurants, adopts a creative approach to our advertising. We do not aim to offend anyone with our efforts, but merely to offer entertaining content. We understand that not everyone may view our advertising the same way, so we respect all views and welcome all comments, which are forwarded to senior management. Thank you again for taking the time to contact us."

Wow... that didn’t make me very happy. The response from KOLR10’s Station Manger on Tuesday was a relief:

"This is a national commercial that is not placed by KOLR10 locally, and I’m sure many TV stations are getting complaints from families like yours who are objecting to the content. I am passing the comments along to our network so that they will know how families like yours are responding to it. Thanks for taking the time to let us know how you feel."

Needless to say, you will not find me getting food from Hardee’s. If they think that I support that form of advertising, they’ve got it wrong.

If you haven’t seen the commercial, here is the youtube link. Warning, I realize this may be very offensive to some of you, so watch at your own discretion... http://youtu.be/xdGsKzmCgB0

On another note, I was warned in the email reply from Hardee’s that it is “prohibited” for me to share their email response. But to be honest, I don’t care:

"This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer. Please note that any view or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of CKE Restaurants, Inc. ("CKE") and/or its subsidiaries. Finally, the recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. CKE accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail."

~Matt 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The other day, while I was at work, my sister stole my apple ipad and tested to see if it can survive a 25 foot
drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now destroyed
and she has 83 views. I know this is totally off topic but I had to share
it with someone!

My web-site - mfortune