Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A job for Lydia... but car troubles!


Tuesday (9/22/09) was a very interesting day! It started out pretty good, but then things started happening as the evening approached.. but I'll get to that in a bit.

The day started out pretty normal. I've been working overtime, so I new it was going to be a long day. We dropped the kids off at daycare, Lydia dropped me off at work, and then she headed over to college. Before my first break of the day, Lydia sent me a text telling me she got the job at OTC!

Now, for those who don't know, Lydia found out that OTC hires students as work studies. Which means she can work in-between classes, answering phones etc, and get paid for it! Every little bit helps, you know! She doesn't know when she'll officially start, but it should be soon!

That news got me excited. We had been praying about it for a while, hoping that she'd hear soon. However, all my excitement got shot down around 3:45...

Lydia called and said that the car wouldn't start. Every time she turned the key, there would be a clicking sound. I immediately thought it was the battery, but she reported that the lights and radio worked. She had just finished giving plasma and was going to pick up the kids from daycare and then head home.

She was able to walk over to Palen Music Center, were Sam was working. He graciously gave her a ride to pick up the kids and then drop her off at home. He then picked me up and we went to go look at the car. We jumped the battery, and it started! So we headed over to O'Reilly Auto Parts to get the battery and alternator checked out. When we arrived, and I turned off the car, I tried to start it again... wouldn't turn over.

We had one of the guys come out and check it with their hand-held machine. Sure enough, it said "Bad Battery". Great... Fortunately, Sam had a brand new battery in the bed of his truck, it was from his old truck that had died. We asked if that would work, and the guy admitted that it would, but that I'd have to splice the cords in my car to extend them to reach the plugs on the new battery since they were on opposing ends.

I called my dad and asked him to come out and help.. and bring some tools. He did, and we got it in and working! Of course, I owe Sam for the battery... but it has saved me an immediate charge of $90+!

When I finally got home... it was after 9pm! What a day!

~Matt

No comments: