Monday, September 21, 2009

Lydia's Laptop Woes ("Ka-Bluey!")


Poor Lydia..... On Friday, her laptop was giving her fits.

She was at school, and she tried to do some homework, and the laptop just froze. Crashing on her! "Ka-Bluey!"...as I'll refer to it from now on!

This happened to her for the rest of the day, even giving her the blue screen of death before restarting on it's own. Lydia was getting frustrated!

After she picked me up and we arrived home, I immediately started looking at her computer. I'd get firefox running and... "Ka-Bluey!"

Within 10 minutes of anything, it just sitting there.... "Ka-Bluey!"

I was getting frustrated too!

I eventually discovered that if I turned off the wi-fi card, it wouldn't crash. But that meant that there was something going on with the internet connection. Was it the driver for the wi-fi card? A virus that needed the internet? Malware? I didn't know. I tried the driver. It told me that it was current, so I attempted to see if I could need updated by searching the internet... "Ka-Bluey!"

Arg! My next step was to scan her computer for a virus, and fragment her hard drive. There was some minor cookies that it didn't like, but still, when I connected to the internet... "Ka-Bluey!"

I decided to download "ad-aware"... but when I did... "Ka-Bluey!" I downloaded it on my computer instead, and transferred it to the hers via my thumbdrive. A scan (plus 45 minutes later), and nothing! I was really getting frustrated now!

I then decided to see if Windows had any updates, thinking that perhaps that would fix the problem. Sure enough, 'windows update' had the service pack 2 available. So I tried it. At 36% of the download completed... "Ka-Bluey!"

Come to find out, it was the update running in the background when connected to the internet, that kept crashing the laptop!!! I finally went into the preferences and changed it to "ask to download updates"... and all is working fine! I got it all figured out y 10:30 that night!

I was planning on mowing the lawn Friday evening... But since I worked on Lydia's laptop, I decided to put it off until Saturday. Well.. it rained! :(


I talked to my brother BJ last night, and he sent me the link to download the 'exe' file of the update... so I'll be trying it that way sometime this week! Oh.. and so far... no more crashes reported!

Hooray!


~Matt

No comments: