Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Album Review: “Here We Are Again” (2012) - Ernie Haase & Signature Sound



Ernie sent the radio station a few per-release copies of this album for us employees... a great benefit for a Southern Gospel nut like me! Hey, I’ll gladly take any music.

Now before I start out, I’ll admit that I’m not the biggest fan of Signature Sound, but do enjoy several of their songs and I own most of their albums.

This new album has received quite a bit of talk on other websites and blogs, I was anxious to hear it. I read the reviews and comments. All made a great ‘hype’ as something that an individual just has to find out himself if he likes it or not.

I found that this CD is such a mixture of styles, I can’t regard it as a traditional southern gospel album. In fact, there are a few songs on there that I don’t even think fits under the genre at all.

One for song example, “Every Time”, is so unique and different, I can’t even place what genre it falls under. It’s like something that would be on “Glee”... I’m not saying I don’t like the song either. I find it fun, and will definitely have it in a playlist for my vehicle when driving. However, it is definitely not ‘southern gospel’.

Any Other Man” is anther song that some are claiming they like. To me, it feels like you’re a part of a rock concert. It just doesn’t fit my taste. I guess the song is good in it’s own right, but again, it doesn’t fit under the genre.

There is another song that drew my interest in this album was the remake of “Stand By Me”. As a bass singer... I was intrigued. However, I’m actually disappointed in this version. It just doesn’t measure up, like it’s lacking. On the same note, I also didn’t care for “I Believe” as well. It sounds like a ballad pulled from a musical.

Overall, “Here We Are Again” is not something I’ll pull out and play a lot. But it does offer variety.


Top Favorite: Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
Listening While Driving: Swing Low, Sweet Chariot; Every Time
Song I’ll Sing Along With The Most: Stand By Me
Unique Pick: Every Time
Songs I Might Skip: Any Other Man, I Believe

No comments: