Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Pet Peeve: The Public Restroom



Do I have a list of pet peeves? Yes, I do! And there’s probably quite a few more than I’d publicly admit. I might actually mention several from time to time. But today I’ll address my number one pet peeve... the public restroom.

Perhaps I’m the uncommon male when it comes to this topic, but most public restrooms and the other men that use them disgust me. There are several factors about the restrooms that make me try my best to avoid them. If you’re a bit squeamish, or want to ignore these facts don’t read the following.

1 - Please flush! What is it with people not flushing? Are they afraid they might get a disease from doing the courtesy? I don’t want to see what you’ve left behind! Plus, I’ve noticed they’ve obviously used the toilet paper, so they can wipe the seat too! YUCK!

2 - Why not wash? Fact: most men do not wash their hands after using the facilities. I’ll go so far to say that 75% don’t. I’ve even stood around and watched. It’s simply disgusting. You might want to remember that when shaking hands at church or getting your food from a fast food. (Actually, you may want to try and forget that fact.)

3 - Use SOAP! If they do wash their hands, half don’t even bother don’t use soap! That’s just gross... Seriously, are they afraid they might get more germs from the soap dispenser?

4 - Re-usable/rotating towels.... need I really say more? I’m sure you’ve seen them, those things that the towel keeps being threaded back through. Knowing the facts above, would you want to touch such a thing after washing your hands?

5 - No paper towels! (but yet there’s always a trash can) Okay, I understand the public push to “go green”, but at the risk of my health? Seriously!?!?! How else am I to open the door? Imagine how gross the handle is!!! If no paper towels, I’m then forced to use the “pinky-pull”... (Girls: If you don’t know what I mean, ask another guy. If he doesn’t know, don’t shake his hand!)

6 - The door..... why must it only swing open way? You think I want to touch the handle to pull open the door after so many has touched it????


My finale note to the ladies... I hope your public restrooms are better. And be glad for that long line, because on the other hand, you could be using our facilities!

~Matt

No comments: