Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Just Call Me "Mr. Duct Tape" (Tuesday, 07/20/10)


Ahh, yes... Duct Tape. A great invention for fixing practically anything and everything!

I always like to keep a roll handy. It's truly a handyman's greatest tool!

When in college, I had a classmate who really put it to use in an odd way. He had these sandals he claimed to have owned for 3 years, that he wore daily. Unfortunately, they had broke 3 months after he purchased them. He fixed it with duct tape. He then noticed it was more comfortable, so he wrapped both sandals with the tape. If the tape wore out on the bottom, he just added more. He claimed that it gave it more cushion, traction, and durability. Plus, it did look pretty cool...

I've used the tape quite a bit growing up. But now that I have my own house, I use it more often!

One of the greatest examples of my use for it was two years ago. Lydia had leaned up against the tile in the shower, and the tile fell through the wall! It left a nice big hole in the wall. So what did I do to cover it temporarily? Well, I grabbed several large plastic trash-bags, placed them over the hole, and duct taped them to the wall. The duct tape sealed the edges from allowing water to seep through, and also provided some bracing to the bags. It may have looked a little odd, but it did the trick!

Two weeks ago, I discovered that the sun had made the fabric on our porch swing very brittle. In fact, if I had sat down on it, it would have ripped and I would have found myself on the ground. What to do? Bring on the duct tape! I covered the fabric, weaving the tape a bit to provide bracing and structure. It took two and a half rolls... but it worked!

Go Duct Tape! lol!



~Matt

In case you may be wondering, here are a few more things a true man needs around the house:
• Super Glue
• Electrical Tape
• WD-40

No comments: