Tuesday, February 8, 2011

RANT: Deciphering Those Text Messages...! (02/08/11)


Last week, while checking the facebook page for Springfield Public Schools to see if they were going to close, I ran across a wall post. It took me a while to decipher...  ugh... just a high-schooler thinking he could type faster by substituting letters with numbers or just not including them altogether. It was so bad, I just had to take a screen shot.

I'll have to admit, this is a big pet peeve of mine. Sure, I make mistakes when typing on my iPhone. But why do it on purpose?

I'm sure just by posting this, I could be offending someone who does it on purpose. Is it necessary? Some may argue that it's faster. Is it? How is it faster to replace "s" with "z"??? Seriously?

I ask those who do this... take a step back and look what you just wrote! It sure doesn't make you look intelligent! In fact, my 6 year-old daughter can spell better than you! Hey, and she's in kindergarten! In fact, I can make more sense out of her hand-written notes than I can these texts!

You can't tell me that this is an improvement with technology. It's horrible! I've actually spent more time deciphering these texts and post than I should have. Some colleges and high school teachers are trying hard to show that it is hurting our nation's language skills. Some businesses have even claimed that the text lingo has appeared on resumes and applications! Wow!

Oh, and take one more look at that screen shot. "Cancell" is spelled with one "L"! If you ask me, I think he really needs to be in "skool"!

~Matt

1 comment:

Adam Beck said...

So I probably shouldn't tell you that I noticed that WEMD is misspeled on the poster and expect you to know what it is? LOL!