Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wrong to Blog? (02/23/11)


If you hadn't heard the news, a Philadelphia teacher was suspended for blogging about her students. She started the blog in 2008 and used it to vent off steam about her work environment and students. Originally intended for family and friends, a student discovered it and reported her.

I understand that she definitely didn't use the blog in a professional manner. I mean, come on, she was a teacher! She used derogatory remarks about her students and other faculty. I don't think she did it with the best attitude either.

However, I don't think she should lose her job over it. In my opinion, it's her right to write what she wants. As long as she didn't name her students, or describe them in a way that they could be identified, I don't see the problem. She was blogging about her life, not attacking anyone specifically, and describing what she was dealing with.

Like I said, I agree that she could have done it in a more appropriate manner, at least write it creatively! I don't think she should be let go, never to teach again. I believe that she has the right to free speech. I think the families are upset that she has made valid points about their students!

More thoughts to come on this subject later......

~Matt

No comments: