Thursday, May 21, 2009

Camping (Friday, May 14, 2009)



I took a vacation day.

Our friends, Daryn and Amber, planned a camping and canoeing trip. They invited all of the young married couples from our church to attend. Unfortunately, Lydia and I were the only other couple able to go.  It had been planned a month or more in advanced, and for a while Lydia and I wasn't sure we'd be able to swing it. Gas, food, canoe rental…. and we had to find a babysitter. Make that two babysitters!!!

It started out to be a lazy day... we weren't leaving for the campground until 5pm so I had the entire day to get ready. After breakfast, we went to the grocery store! Not my favorite thing to do on a vacation day, but it had to be done. We had to pick up some things for the camping trip anyway!

We got home, ate lunch, and put the kids down for a nap. I started getting things ready for the trip. I had a checklist of things, and I didn't want to forget anything. Bug spray was an essential item!

We dropped the kids off at Lydia's sister's apartment and then headed out. We were a little behind schedule. We ended up leaving Springfield around 6. The trip was pretty long, and it gave us 2-1/2 hours of talk time, which was great. By the time we got to the campground, it was already getting dark.

Daryn and Amber had put up my 8-man tent, and were sitting around the campfire. We unpacked our things and soon joined them. We talked and about dosed off a few times. Around 9:30 the wind suddenly picked up throwing sand in the air! So we hurriedly put up or chairs and put out the fire. Sure enough it rained!

The best part, the rain kept all the bugs away and gave us a cool night. That part I liked! I hate sleeping when I'm hot… just not comfortable! Lydia liked the less bugs part.

Saturday was canoeing, and Lydia wrote about it, so I'll have her post that!

~Matt

No comments: