Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Taking cover…. And then visiting with family (Friday, May 8th)



When I woke up Friday morning, there was barely any light outside. More rain…! "There goes mowing tonight", I thought to myself as I got ready to go into work. As I left the house I noticed it was darker then when I gotten up. The rain had already gotten worse, and the wind had picked up. Normal Ozark weather…

It was moving day at work. We were all shuffled around a bit, and moving to new spots within our department. So I knew from the get-go that at least the morning was going to be somewhat hectic and different. However, none of us imagined how different it would be. In the middle of us all moving our equipment and stuff from cubicle to cubicle, the weather got worse, and we were under a tornado warning.

It's nothing too new.. we get these warnings several times during the year. The last two tornado/storms hit pretty close to home (and work), and this one seemed to be heading in our direction. At my place of work, our tornado shelter is a long hallway. Standing or sitting on the floor are the only options. So, I sat.

The talking was too loud to really hear any reports over the intercom, so I pulled out my iPod and played bomberman while texting Lydia on my cell. Her and the kids were in the bathroom at home listening to the radio.

The storm blew through after an hour. Confirmed touchdowns in towns nearby, and heavy wind damage to our area. In fact, a church not to far from our house had some of the roof blown off from their gym. The highway intersection nearby was even closed down for a bit, the signs blown down.. quite a sight! There were several trees uprooted too! Our neighbors across the street lost their newly built carport to the storm. The winds just picked it up and threw it against the house (Lydia posted the pictures on her facebook page).

When I arrived home from work that evening, I noticed that the wind had picked up the grass clippings and sprinkled them all over the front of our house and garage door! Go figure!

Anyway… we ate supper and watched some "Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers" from the library, before heading my parent's house by 7pm. We planned on going over there to visit with my Grandparents Paasch and my brother and his family. They were coming in for Sam's graduation on Saturday. We knew that Saturday was going to be a busy day for everyone, and wanted to visit as much as we could.

As we pulled up to my parent's house, my cell rang. It was my mom. She told me not to be in a rush, because they just learned my grandparents wouldn't be in until after 10pm. Whoops… too late!

We ended up visiting with my family for several hours. We talked, ate ice cream, and chased kids. Actually, Abigail watched them outside for a good portion of our visit! (Thanks Abigail!!!) We were getting a little restless I guess, and decided to watch "Flushed Away". Twenty minutes into the film, and my grandparents showed up! Soon after, BJ, Ana, and baby Elijah came through the door!

When it was known that Elijah was here, Mysia and Malachi rushed to the living room. They had to get their hands on him. The poor little guy was in danger of be squeezed to death in the name of love! But all went well.

We talked, and talked and talked! Malachi was growing tired… it was way past his bedtime! So we left a little before midnight.

Note: I uploaded pictures on my facebook page!

No comments: