Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Severe Storms (Wednesday, May 13, 2009)

Well, come spring, it happens. Just like the post on the previous Friday, severe storms are an expected occurrence here in the Ozarks. And they're unpredictable.

At first, the weather service and local station in the area were predicting a severe storm around 4-5pm for Wednesday. When I heard that, I thought to myself, "great, I'll be in it on my way home from work!"
Then Wednesday morning, they pushed it back until 6-7. So my thoughts were on how much fun it was going to be heading to church in this weather!

Toward the end of the workday, they had pushed it back until 9ish. So my thoughts shifted to the fact that it'll be when we'd be heading home from church.

And this is why I our weather can be so frustrating….

We got home, put the kids to bed, checked emails, and then got ready to hit the sack ourselves when it hit! What a storm! Sirens blaring, wind blowing, rain pounding, and kids that were too tired! I put blankets in the tub and put Mysia in there. She slept. Malachi was a different story; he wanted to go back to his bed. The poor boy was half asleep, so I ended up holding him most of the time.

Lydia doesn't like to be enclosed in the bathroom for a long time, so she kept going to the front door to watch the weather. I joined her a time or two. The lightning show was amazing. Unfortunately, it was too dark to see the clouds, so watching the storm wasn't as helpful.

We had the radio on, and I turned on my laptop to watch the radar. The storm was pretty severe. but it didn't do much damage in our area like the previous Friday. I was glad when it all settled down.

Needless to say, it made for a very tired night.

~Matt

No comments: