Tuesday, October 13, 2009

More rain.. and lots of it!


Last Thursday we got a ton of rain... So much rain that the roads getting to our house were practically flooded! Our backyard was full once again, and the sump-pump underneath our house was working non-stop.

The sump-pump worried me. With as much rain as we got, I was pretty sure that I'd have to go underneath the house later on to get whatever junk out that had floated into it.

Friday night, I was still worried. The sump-pump was still going without stopping. But since water was still coming out, I figured there must enough for me not to worry. Still... that night, I dreamed about having to crawl underneath the house.

Saturday morning came around, and I was relieved to find that the sump-pump had stopped! Well, occasionally. It would come on every 10 minutes or so to drain whatever water was flowing. I was happy. I really didn't want to venture underneath the house.

Well, later that night, when we got back from picking up the church van, I noticed it was running and no water coming out! Great.....! My heart sank.

I announced to Lydia what I had to do. She asked me if I could do it the following day. Sunday? No way. It had to be that night.

So I donned my worse clothes, grabbed my headlamp, and headed outside. The ground was still wet, and I made sure there were no spiders or anything near the crawlspace entrance. The wolf spiders have gotten pretty big now that fall is here, including the legs- they're about the size of the palm of your hand. Also, slugs... the've been getting about 5-6 inches long. I see them on the side of the house from time to time! Yuck.

I had to get down there, and to do so, it's going feet first, face down, and sliding backwards. Not much fun. As I got in, I turned around, and was greeted by a snake coming towards me.

Now remember, it's after 10 at night, and all I have is the light on my forehead. So naturally, I take my pole I carry with me, and kill it real quick before identifying it. It was a harmless garter snake... so i felt bad. But my heart was in my throat!

After making the crawl to the sump-pump, I found it was just a little piece of wood keeping it running. I removed it, and all was well.

I got out from underneath the house, hosed my pants and boots off, and headed inside to take a shower!!!!

Now I'm praying for no more rain!!!!

~Matt

No comments: