Monday, November 16, 2009

Christmas Lights and More! (Saturday, 11/14/09)


Ahhhhh... Saturday! Our day of rest. At least... for the first part of the day!

One of the things I like to do on Saturdays is sleeping in... and I have found a solution on doing so. When the kids wake up, I make their juice, give them a little breakfast, turn the tv on, and go back to bed for an hour or more! Hey... It works!

That's what we did Saturday... it was nice. With Lydia staying up and doing her homework, and I trying to stay up out of consideration, being able to sleep in is soooo nice! However, I will admit that I don't stay up as long as Lydia... I end up dosing, and she tells me to go on to bed! lol

After sleeping in, we did the morning routine of getting ready for the day. I worked on a couple of videos I had put on my laptop, both home videos from the camcorder and some from VHS. I also cleared away some of the 'computer/work junk' that had started piling up near the desk in the living room. Lydia worked on the grocery list and homework. The kids played and I even had them on Mario Kart 64 for about 45 minutes. I'm teaching them how to play. See.... I'm such a cool daddy!

Later in the afternoon, toward the end of M&M's naps, Lycia and Jordin stopped by for a visit. Jordin is Titus' girlfriend, and it was nice to finally meet her! We talked, visited, and tried to get Mysia and Malachi to stop being shy. (I don't think they got that from me)

Malachi was excited that I brought in the tree from the shed later that afternoon. He was trying to help me out as I set it up in the living room. Now if you think we're crazy, setting up the tree before Thanksgiving.... hear me out. It has been our personal tradition to bring it out two weeks before, and just enjoy the tree without the decorations. We will put them on after Thanksgiving! The tree is beautiful to admire with just the lights. That's one thing nice about a pre-lit tree... except for this year, and the top of the tree was out. Not only that, we were out of spare Christmas lightbulbs!

While Lydia and Malachi left for the grocery store, Mysia and I tried pulling out the outdoor lights. Since the weather was so nice and it was going to get cold, I knew it would be a good time to get them out. However, those lights made me mad. The strands were all messed up and not working!

Boy.. did I feel discouraged. I called Lydia and told her about my dilemma! She said she'd pick up a few more sets. What a sweetheart of a wife!

She got home, we unpacked the groceries, and got the kids ready for bed. I caved in and promised Mysia she could watch one of the animated Christmas movies, so they watched Frosty the Snowman as I went outside to decorate the house.

By then, it was dark. But that didn't matter. I'm hanging up lights! It didn't take me too long to complete either! However, it's the first time I was ever bit by mosquitoes when hanging up Christmas lights!

Oh, and for those who live in town.... it's no good to drive by and see them just yet. I won't be turning them on until after Thanksgiving!

~Matt



"Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason."

No comments: