Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pinewood Derby (11/21/09)


This was it... the yearly Pinewood Derby at Hillside. This was one of the big activities for the kids. Everyone is given a kit that includes instructions, 4 nails, 4 wheels, and a block of wood. It is then up to the imagination of the kid's parents to figure out what to make out of this block.

Once again, I was faced with this challenge. No... it was a double challenge. I got the responsibility making both Mysia and Malachi's cars.

Mysia wanted a purple and pink race car, no question about it. Malachi, on the other hand, just wanted a block on wheels to play with. I decided, after encouraging Malachi, that we make an old fashioned fire truck. We also only painted each vehicle with one color (a lot easier).

On Saturday morning, Lydia and I woke up and got ready. I tried to make sure we grabbed everything. Taking the church van, we picked up M&M and then started picking up the van kids. I thought we were going to be at least 15 minutes late to church, but we actually made it there with 20 minutes to spare!

I adjusted the M&M's cars, adding weights and straightening up the wheels. We entered the cars in, and then tried to help calm all the kids down. We're teachers, so that's our responsibility... to make sure the kids don't kill each other! lol!

The races went well. Mysia and Malachi both got quite a bit of run time on their cars, and even got to race each other. For lunch we ate corndogs and french fries... yum! I did the devotion, and Malachi won an award for car design!

It was a neat activity, and like always.... it was fun!

I posted pictures on facebook!

~Matt


"Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said."

No comments: