Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Tech Post: My Laptop A GPS Unit!


For a few years, I had thought it would be cool to own a GPS unit. It would help when running the vans for the church, and it would be nice to have if we ever traveled anywhere. It definitely would have been nice for our Anniversary Get-A Way back in September.

About a year ago, I had read on a tech blogs that there were "USB dongles" that would turn your computer into a GPS unit. What a cool idea. But I didn't think that it would really be worth it, so I didn't really give it too much thought.

God has allowed us the finances and to be able to travel to Kansas this Thanksgiving weekend for a "family reunion" on my dad's side. We're excited, and it gave me the thought that the USB GPS/Laptop idea would be nice. So to the internet I went!!!

I did a google search and found one for $25! Wow... not bad! Especially since it came bundled with a map program (2008). Most of the others included a map more than $70! I was excited about the product, but I decided to get a second opinion. I emailed my brother BJ...

He liked it, but did his own research and found one that was for 2009 for only $5 more! Now that's a deal! "DeLorme Earthmate GPS LT-40 - GPS kit" I spoke to my dad, and ended up ordering two, one for Sam and I.

Well, they came in on Monday. I installed it, and from the dinning room table it works! I did say that my house was moving 0.02 miles, so I wonder if it's floating away! lol! I'm hoping to try it out Sunday during the van route! It'll be cool!

~Matt



Pun of the Post: "When filling out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR". What's my mother going to do?."

No comments: