Thursday, April 15, 2010

Design Post: Hillside Prom-Alternative Poster (1) "The Sketch"


For the next several days I'm going to share my progress on a design I did for our church! Hope you all enjoy!


A couple of weeks ago our church's youth pastor, John, approached me about designing this year's Prom-Alternative poster. I had designed last year's, and it was a challenge... but I enjoyed it.

For those wondering, our church puts on a event for the teens, a Christian alternative for the high-school prom. It gives the teens something to look forward to! It's fun, clean, and uplifting!

John told me that he was running behind this year in getting the event organized. He also needed the poster soon, around the first week of April!!! Well, that made it a greater challenge!

Thankfully, he already had the basic info ready. He wanted a heavenly theme for the design. The scripture for the prom was "I go to prepare a place for you" and the theme is "happily ever after". The info for speaker and activities he'd provide later.

I rolled over several ideas in my head, and since the theme sounded like a Disney princess storybook, so that's the direction I decided to go. In my mind, I kept thinking of "Enchanted", "Snow White", "Sleeping Beauty", and "Cinderella". I pictured a story book, with a picture of heaven on it. Perhaps the "Book of Life", and the title could be "Happily Ever After". Hmmmm. That's a concept!

I could actually imagine hearing a sermon on our name entry to the Book of Life being the promise of living happily ever after with the Lord... and I got excited! I figured that it would add a nice little touch to the design/theme!

I was at church, eating lunch, when I started working on a sketch. I showed it a few of the teen girls that were present, and they liked it. Well, that was good enough for me! So I submitted it to John...

(to be continued...)

~Matt

No comments: