Thursday, February 4, 2010

Why do things break? (Wednesday, 02/03/10)


Like any other normal computer-loving geek, I carry around a USB flashdrive. Okay, I'll admit it, I carry two. Oh, plus my 80 GB iPod and my cell which holds a the 512 MB mini SD card.

The point is, most of my important files, or needed files, are with me at all times. I like having it just in case. There is always something I'm working on, or like to have handy... just in case.

Well, BJ had gave me one for my birthday back in 2007. It was a Kinsgston 2 GB. It was nice and durable. Well, as you can see from the picture I posted above, the 'USB' part broke off from the circuit board. I guess it got "jiggled" too much over the years. I had a scare for a while though... I had some files on there that I hadn't backed up yet! So I held the thing together for 5 minutes while I transferred the files over. It took several tries, and my hand was shaking the entire time, but I got the files off! Whew!

But that wasn't the only thing that broke today! But I'll get to that here in a bit.

Good news... the snow is finally melting!

When we got home, our driveway had a nice pool of water in it, so I took the shovel and re-dugg the trench to our ditch. I heard water running, presumably from one of the neighbors' house, and remembered I'd better turn on my sump pump as well. So while inside I turned it on. We made supper real quick because we were getting ready to head to church. I noted though... that the water pressure seemed a little low in the kitchen. However, the bathrooms were doing fine. The water heater seemed to be running though, which we thought was a bit unusual. But no problems could be found, and I figured it was doing it's thing.

We ate supper, got things gathered, and headed out the door. While loading the kids, I heard that water sound again. I noticed it wasn't our neighbor's sump pump. It was coming from his, or our, backyard. I ran back there, and "oh no!!!!!"

It was our backyard... flooded! Water was gushing out of the faucet where our garden hose was originally plugged up. The extra nozzle I had installed last spring broke off! Our backyard was flooded with water... City water!

I ran in side, grabbed my wrench, and turned off the water! My pant legs and shoes were muddy.

We went ahead and went to church, but later that night, on the way home, I stopped by the store and picked me up a new nozzle. The first thing I did when we got home was install the thing!

Now do you understand the title of this post?

What a day!

~Matt

No comments: