Friday, September 24, 2010

Facebook: A Game? (Friday, 09/24/10)


In my continuation of facebook related posts... it seems to me that Facebook has become more than just a way to connect with friends and family. It has become a game.

The game is to attract the most attention... the most comments... And I agree, it can be fun! I like it when my status gets several comments and a ton of "likes"!

The sad part is the fact that instead of finding finding constructive ways to garnish attention, there are many who resort to hateful 'opinions'. Just like I addressed in my last post. In that, I find it disheartening. So I have found that it is best to avoid commenting on those status posts that "feeds the fire".

To beat this 'game', I post on the positive. It keeps me out of trouble, and believe me... I like playing it safe. Unfortunately, this still does not guarantee that I not be drawn into some feud... it happens and there seems to be no easy way out of it. I have found that it's not the end of the world if I get 'de-friended'. I just remember that since I was able to live life without them on Facebook prior to them being friends with me on the social networking site, I can still do it. Hey... life goes on! My social status doesn't rely on what friends I have on there.

In fact, what really matters to me is what my testimony is, and how what I post may affect my life (or even my wife and kids). If I post or comment in a way that is disrespectful, sinful, or wrong... what kind of husband, father, or Christian am I? So I'm careful. Sadly, I'm sure that no matter what, I'll offend someone here or there. I'll just try to do my best, and do what I believe is right.

~Matt

No comments: