Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snow, Cold Weather, and Remembering... (01/12/11)


Well, we finally got the snow I've been wanting. About 2 inches. Unfortunately, its been too cold to really enjoy it! In fact, on my way to work this morning, it was 1°F with a -15° windchill!!! Brrrr...

Oh, and because of the bitter cold, the news is telling people not to stay out longer than 30 minutes, otherwise you could get frostbite. Yikes!

The sad part is, it's so cold outside that the snow isn't packable... meaning no snowmen. :(   However, its frozen enough that it'll be perfect for sledding. And that's something I plan on doing with the kids after services tonight. That's the best part of our church being on the side of a hill! (thus the name "Hillside") Of course, we will only sled down a few times. Mostly because of the cold, and the fact that dragging two kids up the hill wears a guy out pretty fast!

Today is also the four year anniversary of the Ice Storm that hit our town. I can remember it vividly, and I definitely don't want to go through that ordeal again. It's the topic/subject of the day it seems, and many don't want to even remember it. For some, it was a bit expensive. I'm just thankful that we were kept safe and we made it through. I'm also thankful that my parents allowed us to stay with them since they had a gas fireplace!

Note: the above picture is one I took during the ice storm of 2007 of our backyard through the icicles hanging on our shed... and it is not a manipulated picture either.


~Matt

No comments: