Monday, July 27, 2009

Another Vacation Day, Along with Injury (Friday, 07/24/09)


No sickness! Yay! Just another vacation day!

Lydia got up and went to give plasma, I watched the kids. I had them help me pick up the living room, and then I put in a movie we picked up from RedBox… "Tinkerbell". It had Mysia glued. However, poor Malachi was happy to have Mysia home since she had gone to daycare without him the past two days. Since she was watching the movie, he pestered her. He wanted to play. I got to be referee, and after the movie was finished, we all played.

When Lydia arrived back home, I let Mysia play on the computer. There was a game promoted by the movie, so I set it up for her. Come to find out, it was too difficult for her age, and Lydia ended up playing it. I left for my doctor's appointment. Unfortunately, I got mixed up, and the appointment was actually scheduled for the following Friday! Ooops! So I headed off to pick up a few grocery items from Wal-Mart. When I came back home, the kids were already down for their naps, and Lydia was playing Mysia's game. I mentioned I was going to lay down for a nap, and Lydia was so intent in the game that she didn't hear me! Poor Lydia!

Later in the afternoon, we went outside and let the kids play. As it got closer to 5, I got the grill going for hamburgers. While the hamburgers were cooking, Mysia pointed out that there was a big bug under their "fort". Sure enough, right in the corner, near where they climb up the ladder, there was a wasp nest about the size of a peach seed. I told the kids to go sit with Lydia on the swing, as I went in to get the bug spray. All we had was roach and ant killer, but I knew it would do. I went and sprayed the nest. There was a wasp on there, and I got him too. But he decided to fly toward me! I tried to run away, and tripped over my feet. I ended up falling down, catching myself by landing on my thumb on my left hand. I heard cracks, mostly from my legs, and a sharp pain shoot up my hand and arm. It hurt!

I cradled my hand and walked over to Lydia. Sure enough, my hand started to swell around my thumb. I couldn't move my thumb… and the pain was intense. I initially thought I broke it. Lydia asked if we should go get it checked out, but I told her I'd rather wait. I wanted to see if I had just jammed it.

I ended up babying my thumb the entire evening. It continually throbbed with pain. I found I couldn't do much with my left hand. After supper, I was able to bend my thumb at the "top knuckle" and it popped. There was a shot of immense pain and relief at the same time.

Lydia and I were planning on going to a concert that evening, but we were tired. So, after getting the kids in bed that night, I worked a bit more on the DVD of last Sunday night's service, as I had been doing throughout the day. But that didn't last long, and I gave up in favor of going to bed.

~Matt

No comments: