Tuesday, November 23, 2010

BirthOrNot.com - Oh My! (11/23/10)



Wow... as you might guess, there are so many things that I'm wanting to cover in this blog post! And I still feel that I can cover all my thoughts on the matter!

First off, the subject in hand has to deal with a website that is gaining attention across the nation and around the world. If you haven't heard, it's basically a blog by couple that asks for people to vote on whether they should keep or abort their unborn child. Called BIRTHorNOT.com, the site wants the internet community to make the choice for them! The couple, Pete and Alicia Arnold, have been married 10 years, and have had two miscarriages. They're giving the pregnancy until Dec 7th... by then, they will allow the results of the vote help them decide on the life of their child.

The issues surrounding the idea are many, so I'll try to start on a few and hope that my rambling makes sense. I'm not going to try to sway any of you readers, but let you see what is going on in my mind over the these issues. There's a lot to consider with this.

One thing is that the site involves online voting. It seems to draw the idea from popular tv shows like Dancing With The Stars, American Idol, etc. We get to vote on yes or no. There is no other option. However, another question then comes to mind! By participating in the voting, would that be considered condoning the actions of them allowing outsiders to make the choice for them? If that's the case, then you shouldn't partake. Hmmmm....

Then there is the question, is this a hoax? It seems that there are several bloggers out there that believe Mr. Arnolds is nothing new to this. They report that he has been behind several other sites in the past that were designed for controversy. This could "stunt" be the same. With that info, does that mean it's just a publicity stunt? Could this couple be using their pregnancy as a way to get attention? Or is this really a good way to get this issue if front of the public.

The whole things seems to be designed to pull on your heart strings. Face it... are you cold enough to allow the killing of this healthy baby in the womb of this woman? Lr are you going to exercise your right to save it? Seeing that they've already giving this child a nickname, Wiggles, to help make it more personable, it's like you have to participate.

But then again, there are those who are voting for the Arnolds to go ahead with the abortion. This camp of people probably just want to see how true this couple is. It does give you pause to think... Will they really do it? It could be tempting to really put this couple to the test.

I guess my main concern is.... do we need to rush, get the word out, and try to get this couple to save their baby? By doing so, are we promoting this type of stupidity of having strangers make serious decision for those who flippantly pose them to us? Are we going to have a guilty conscience for it at the end if we don't participate?

There is a lot to think over! I wish I could come up with answers to all the questions I have. It seems the more I mauled it over in my mind, the more I couldn't figure out. I just get stuck with, "Why... Why... Why!?!?!?" But, just so you know, I did vote, and I'm watching this site with interest. No matter what the case, I'm saddened over the fact that someone (whether fake or not) would try this stunt.

I guess we'll find out in a few weeks... Dec. 7th!

~Matt

No comments: