Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Mobile Editing in Google Docs (Wednesday, 11/24/10)



Last week, Google announced that they'd be allowing mobile devices (like my iPhone) to edit documents in Google Docs. This was great/fantastic news to me! Upon getting my iPhone, I had been disappointed to find out that I could not edit my documents with it. Sure, there were a few costly apps out there that could sync and allow editing, but it wasn't worth it. I ended up using the "Notes" app when needed. It was a pain, since you can't update the "notes" on a computer.

I like the fact that I can now edit a document both on my phone and on my laptop! Now, if you're wondering why this is so important, let me explain. I like being able to jot down idea and things all day. I come up with blog ideas, design ideas, to-do items, grocery list items, etc. It's nice that I can now do that all in Google Docs!

There are a few slight issues with the mobile editing in Google docs though. There is a lack of formatting, which means I can't bold, italicize, or add links to the text. That's a bummer. But I can always go back in and edit the document with my laptop, so it's not that bad. The only other issue I've ran across is that I can't edit older documents that were made before July. Come to find out, Google had updated their document formats around that time, and those older documents are not editable with any mobile device. That means that I've had to go and remake a few that I want to be able to edit. A small pain, and so far, I haven't found a real simple way to do it besides creating a new document and pasting the text from the old doc into it. In the picture attached to this post, you can see a small difference in the text icon for the two files "Sermon Notes - Matt". The one with the extra lines in the icon is the one that is newer and editable with my iPhone.

Anyway, perhaps this will help me be a little more organized! At least I hope so!

~Matt

No comments: