Friday, June 5, 2009

Cat got my tongue...? ...I wish!


Well, I've done it again. Open mouth, stick foot in! It never fails. I'm and idiot when it comes to conversation sometimes. Okay, most of the time. I'll say something, and it gets taken the wrong way and/or someone gets offended. Hey, I didn't mean it! But the damage is already done.

Of course, I realize that in my blog posts, I can come across the same way. I might easily offend someone, and not realize it! But I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Let me give you a recent example of what happened and you'll see what I mean. Although humorous, I often wonder if it may come back to haunt me or hinder a possible friendship! Golly… I hope not!

Well, remember last week I posted about helping our new neighbors move in? While helping, I was doing the neighborly thing and talking to them. I warned them about our yards flooding during heavy rain, I asked about their sump-pump, and I told them about how annoying the trains can be… especially during a severe thunderstorm!

As I rambled, I mentioned that we didn't get to know the people who lived in the house before them because there were tons of people going in and out of the house regularly. And the people before that were nice, but had big dogs. The mother of one of them nodded her head and added that she had to clean the siding under the back windows with the power-washer to get the muddy paw prints off. I told her that they the huge dogs would peak into the windows and that's why they were so muddy. Right then, I took the opportunity and told them about all the stray cats, and that I wished some of the dogs had gotten them. I also told them about the red fox we have in the neighbor hood, and how I was hoping he'd get rid of a few too. After that, the conversation dragged a bit, but all continued well.

Unfortunately, Lydia and I got talking a few nights later, and she mentioned that they had a pet cat. I said, "WHAT?" Come to find out, before I had headed out to help them move in, Lydia seen them bring in a pet carrier with a huge cat in it. They are cat lovers!

WHOOPS!!!!

~Matt

No comments: