Friday, June 26, 2009

Christians in mourning… over MJ?


I know everyone isn't perfect. I'm not perfect, you're not perfect, celebrities aren't perfect, preachers/evangelists aren't perfect, and Southern Gospel singers aren't perfect.

…. Only Christ was perfect!

Now that I've said that, let me go into detail….

A southern gospel artist, who is friends on facebook to both Lydia and myself, mentioned in his status last night that he was "mourning the loss of Michael Jackson". There were others that commented, agreeing that it was a tragic lost. This rubbed Lydia the wrong way, and I agreed with her. She decided to comment as well, I advised her not to, knowing that people love to attack, especially on the internet. Well, she did, and boy was there a heated argument! They were so blindsided that Lydia would think of their idol as a sinner, that they didn't understand that she was upset that Christians would idolize someone who did nothing to further the Kingdom of God. Even the southern gospel singer chewed Lydia out.

Now, I take the side of my wife. Not because she is my wife, but because I believe she is right.

There is a fact that Michael Jackson was a raised as a Jehovah's Witness. But he distanced himself from the society/fellowship around 1987. (See article here)

It's sad that people (Christians) looked more to him as a hero, when his lifestyle did nothing to reflect Christ. It also makes me wonder why Christians think he did a "great service" to our music industry… when he was more of a distraction from the TRUTH. Now granted, there are many things in our lives that can distract us from Christ, and even those of us as sinners saved by grace live lives that can be a "distraction" from the Lord's work.

Now, am I sad that he died? Yes… he is still a soul, and I believe that every life lost is sad. I just don't think that Christians should Christians should idolize him as some great person who brought greatness to the world and mourn his death with more emotion then needed. What "good" did MJ do? What is it that he deserves praise and respect from the children of God? I would like to know the answers to those questions… because I'm confused on the matter.

Like a friend of mine said, "Funny the world cares so much when a celeb dies, but not an average soul". There is so much truth to that! And from what has been shown on facebook, there are many Christians that side with the world on this! Isn't that a sad fact?

I don't know about other sites, but when the death of Jackson was announced, facebook and twitter were both bogged down! Status updates were delayed up to an hour. Even the ones sent to the cell phones were delayed for several hours! My phone when off at midnight for my friends' statuses that I read hours earlier!

I'm saddened that a SG artist appears to be friends with God and the world… I'm not saying that he should have blasted MJ for being wicked etc. But that the artist praised MJ as a great person to be missed is hard to take in.

Another thing… Lydia referred to MJ as a pedophile in her comments. Of course, that probably didn't help things on her end. But let's look at the facts. Michael Jackson was publicly accused of molestation on three different occasions. One account was settled out of court. It is a fact that he slept in the same bed with boys, that much was proven. It is unclear whether he molested them. Now for the average Joe, that would be time in prison. If I slept with boys and accused on several accounts of molesting boys… would I get off as innocent? Would I be loved, praised, and adored by others… thought as a great person who brought greatness to the world? Would I even have friends or family that would talk to me? …….Yet, some Christians have no problem with MJ!   Do you see why I'm confused!!!

I could write more on this subject, but I believe I've written enough. I'm not trying to make people mad, but these are my thoughts and observations. Isn't that what a blog is for?

One last note: Spread the news…! CHRIST is still ALIVE!


If anyone is interested in reading the comments on the status of the SG artist, or wondering who the artist is…. You can email me: paaschcreativedesigns@yahoo.com

~Matt

No comments: