Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Cat Of Bubastes

I'm sure some of you may be wondering why I'm writing about a cat, and one from 'bubastes"?

It's a title of a book my mom encouraged me to read... er, listen to. Since I can listen to things at work, I listen to audiobooks from time to time. It helps when your sitting at a desk for eight hours a day! Not that I don’t enjoy listening to music, but I’m able to enjoy my favorite books,, and “read” ones I haven’t had time to. Most of the audiobooks are borrowed from the library, however, there are a few decent ones I’ve found on the internet that are made available for free. This one my mom encouraged me to listen to was from the library.

Written by G.A. Henty, it's captivating tale of adventure set in ancient Egypt in the time of Moses. It goes into detail about how the Egyptians lived, how they fought, what they believed, and how they worshiped. Henty has the characters wondering about their many gods and puts forth some great points on worshiping the one true GOD. It’s done is such a way that it doesn’t distract from the story, and yet everything is interwoven into a great read! I was impressed. Definitely worth reading!!!!

In fact, the book was so thrilling; I've requested a few more audio books of Henty's to listen to!

I did some research on G.A. Henty, and I’m guessing that even though his books were semi-popular when he wrote them, they’ve gotten an extra boost within the past few years. Many homeschoolers are picking them up and using them as part of the curriculum. And why not… these work as great literature, amazing history, and plus… they are enjoyable to read!

I didn’t realize that I’d be reviewing books on my blog, but hey…. It’s MY blog!!


~Matt

1 comment:

Daniel Mount said...

He has other good books, but Cat of Bubastes is far and away his masterpiece.